1. Acquisition and use of personal information
Tokyo 2020 will clarify the purpose of use of personal data and lawfully acquire personal information and will not use personal information for any other purpose.
2. Restrictions on the provision of personal information to third parties
Tokyo 2020 will not provide or disclose personal information to any third party unless it has obtained the prior consent of the person to whom the information pertains or other lawful justifications apply.
3. Secure management of personal information
Tokyo 2020 will undertake appropriate measures to accurately and securely manage personal information and to prevent the loss, alteration and leakage, etc. of such information.
4. Disclosure, correction, addition, deletion, etc. of personal information
Tokyo 2020 understands that the person to whom the information pertains has the right to request the disclosure, correction, addition, deletion, discontinuance of use, elimination, etc. of any personal information that can identify such person, and in the event there is such request, Tokyo 2020 will promptly take measures accordingly.
5. Supervision of entrustees
If Tokyo 2020 entrusts an outside contractor with the handling of personal information, in whole or in part, Tokyo 2020 will impose on such contractor the obligation of the secure management of the personal information, and will exercise necessary and appropriate supervision thereof.
6. Commitment to the protection of personal information
Tokyo 2020 will comply with the Personal Information Protection Act and all other relevant laws and regulations and guidelines, as well as ensure that all officers and employees of Tokyo 2020, outside contractors and other relevant parties are made fully aware of the importance of the protection of personal information and aim to develop and educate the awareness regarding the protection of personal information.
Handling of Personal Information
Tokyo 2020 hereby acknowledges the importance of protecting personal information and will appropriately handle all personal information provided to Tokyo 2020 pursuant to the following provisions.
In the preparation and staging of the Games of the XXXII Olympiad and the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games to be held in 2020, as well as its related events including festivals or the torch relay (collectively, the "Games"), Tokyo 2020 will cooperate closely with the International Olympic Committee ("IOC"), a Swiss organization, and the International Paralympic Committee ("IPC") , a German organization, as further described in this Policy.
1. What personal information does Tokyo 2020 collect?
We, Tokyo 2020, will collect and process personal information about you in relation to the preparation and operation of the Games both offline and online, including when you interact with us and our websites and mobile applications, when you purchase tickets or goods and services from us, when you register with us (in particular for the creation of a Tokyo2020 ID), when we carry out research or surveys, when you apply for a job with us, when you apply to be a volunteer and when you participate or engage in the preparation and operation of the Games. This personal information will often be provided directly by you, and may include information you provide on registration or in the process of a purchase, such as your name, address, email address, phone number, gender, age and payment details.
Persons applying to be accredited for the Games will receive specific information regarding the processing of their personal information for the purposes of the accreditation process and more generally in the context of Games preparation, operations and competitions (such as responsible data controllers, data collected, purposes, processing operations, data recipients, conservation, exercise of legal rights etc). This additional information will be provided during the application and registration process for the accreditation either directly by Tokyo 2020 and the IOC, respectively Tokyo 2020 and the IPC in the context of the Paralympic Games, or through the intermediary of the organisation to which these persons belong (e.g. National Olympic Committees, National Paralympic Committees International Sports Federations, National Sports Federations, commercial partners of the Games, rights holding broadcasters and other media organisations, organising committees of other editions of Olympic Games etc, each a "Responsible Organisation"). In case of conflict, this guidance will prevail over the general information contained in this Policy.
Personal information that is mandatory is indicated in the relevant forms that you complete. Where provision of personal information is mandatory, if the relevant information is not provided, we will not be able to fulfil your requests to register, make a purchase or otherwise engage with Tokyo 2020. All other provision of your information is optional.
2. What personal information does Tokyo 2020 receive from third parties?
We will receive personal information from third parties where this is necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. For instance, if you use a "like", or "share" button for a social media feature on our sites or apps, then the third-party social media page will share information about you with us. If you participate in activities on non-Tokyo2020 sites or apps, you may allow us to have access to personal information held by such site or the app owners. We will receive relevant personal information from our vendors, for example to allow us to promote our goods, tickets and services or to manage your purchases.
The content offered on our websites and apps may include publicly available information (such as sports results, athletes' biographies, news stories) about Olympians, athletes and other persons who are deemed newsworthy and whose stories contribute to the mission of the Olympic Movement.
Tokyo 2020 will receive personal information about persons who apply to be accredited for the Games through the intermediary of the applicants' Responsible Organisations, as described in Section 1.
4. Joint use of personal information with the IOC and the IPC
Tokyo 2020 may also use personal information of accredited persons, jointly with the IOC and, for what concerns the 2020 Paralympic Games, jointly with the IPC, where Tokyo 2020 and the IOC, respectively the IPC in the context of the Paralympic Games, consider it necessary for the successful preparation, staging and promotion of the Games. Areas of joint use will be further specified in the information provided to applicants during the application process as indicated in Section 1 above.
With regards to EU residents, reference to "joint use" of personal information shall be understood as instances of "joint control" of personal information under Article 26 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
5. Purposes of use of personal information
We may use personal information for the following purposes based on the following legitimizing grounds:
Use of personal information needed to fulfil a contract or take steps linked to a contract, in particular for the following purposes:
(1) Preparation, operation and administration of the Games, including managing the accreditation for the Games
(2) Sale of tickets and management and support of your ticket purchases;
As required to carry out the Games and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular for the following purposes:
(3) Communication with you about the Games;
(4) Sending you direct marketing by email or through push notification;
(5) Provision of our websites and online services, such as Tokyo 2020 ID, participation in competition/promotion, widgets, user generated content, video player, etc;
(6) Monitoring, improvement and protection of our content, services and websites;
(7) Offering you a personalized experience on our digital media platforms, for instance by suggesting to you content based on preferences you have indicated and previous choice of content and delivering relevant advertising to you (which may include targeted display of advertising on third party services such as Google, Facebook and Twitter);
(8) Ensuring the security of the Games, including the granting of the right to attend our events, or enter our venues;
(9) Deliberation, examination and operation of committees organised by Tokyo 2020;
(10) Provision of information, confirmation of identity and operation regarding events, promotional campaigns, seminars, projects, exhibitions, forums, and fairs relating to the Games;
(11) Provision of information regarding sports or cultural events, promotional campaigns, seminars, projects, exhibitions, forums, events, and fairs relating to the Games organized by a third party;
(12) Investigations, research and public relations activities, such as activity reports, press releases and filming, relating to Tokyo 2020 or the Games;
(13) Responding to your enquiries related to yourself or your activities;
(14) Performance of agreements executed with third parties to accomplish the business purposes of Tokyo 2020;
(15) Controlling the entry into (including facial recognition of the persons accredited for the entry of the venues) and exit out of the premises of Tokyo 2020, the Games venues and other related facilities, and monitoring the activity at such locations using CCTV;
(16) Ensuring and promoting the legacy and knowledge of the Games for the benefit of the Olympic Movement, the Paralympic Movement or any future sports or cultural events;
(17) Contacting job, secondment and volunteer applicants, processing their applications and conducting other personnel management;
(18) Managing and defending legal claims,
(19) Sharing personal information with third parties as described in Section 6
(20) Meeting or communication with you for the above purposes
Where it is required by law, in particular for the purposes of:
(21) Ensuring regulatory compliance, complying with requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation and carrying out investigations as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation)
Where you give us your consent, in particular for the purposes of:
a) Sending you direct marketing by email or through push notification (where your consent is required in accordance with applicable laws);
b) Offering you a personalized experience on our digital media platforms, for instance by suggesting to you content based on preferences you have indicated and previous choice of content and delivering relevant advertising to you (which may include targeted display of advertising on third party services such as Google, Facebook and Twitter) (where your consent is required in accordance with applicable laws);
c) Sharing personal information with third parties (where your consent is required in accordance with applicable laws).
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will be able to withdraw that consent. We may also process your personal information on other legal grounds to the extent permitted under applicable laws. The sending of direct marketing communications and the profiling based on your interests will be based on your consent, unless legal provisions authorise us to rely on other justifications such as our legitimate interests. In such case and to the extent provided by applicable law, you have the right to opt-out of direct marketing or object to the profiling we carry out for direct marketing. You can do this by following the instructions in the communication where this is an electronic message or by contacting us using the details set out below.
6. Sharing of personal information with third parties
Tokyo 2020 may share your personal information with the IOC, or the IPC in cases where they use such personal information jointly as described in Section 4.
More generally, we may provide personal information to the IOC, the IPC, the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC), the Japanese Paralympic Committee (JPC) or the Tokyo Metropolitan Government for the furtherance of the purposes of use of personal information set out in this Policy. In particular, we may transfer your personal information to the IOC, the IPC or any organisation designated by Tokyo 2020 or the IOC before, during or after the Games as part of the transfer of Legacy for the benefit of the Olympic Movement, the Paralympic Movement or any future sports or cultural events.
If you own an account both on our services and on third-party services like Google, Facebook, You Tube and Twitter, we may, by sharing information with these companies, identify you as user of these third-party services and serve you our advertisements on such services.
Personal information will also be shared with our third-party service providers, who will process it on behalf of Tokyo 2020 for the purposes identified above. Such third parties include, without limitation, providers of ticketing services, IT infrastructure services, platform development services, ID management services, customer relationship management, event management, website hosting, analytics and measurement services, email communications, push notification and other integrated marketing services, third party web and social media services on which we serve our advertisements, security services, transport, maintenance of equipment, payment-related services, software or system, call centre operations, food service, accommodation, medical services, education and training services including e-learning and identity checking. For the safety of the Games, we may also share or refer to the relevant governing bodies with respect to the personal information of certain individuals.
Through functionalities of our services, we may allow you to make certain information available to other users of our services. You decide what information you want to make public.
Outside of the situations expressly foreseen in this Policy, we will not provide personal information to any third party unless we have obtained the consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains, or another lawful justification applies such as the following situations:
1. Cases based on laws and regulations;
2. Cases in which it is necessary for the protection of the life, limb or property of an individual and when it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains;
3. Cases in which it is especially necessary for improving public health or promoting the sound growth of children and when it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains;
4. Cases in which it is necessary to provide cooperation for a state organ or local government or a person entrusted thereby to execute the affairs prescribed by laws and regulations and when obtaining the consent of the person to whom the personal information pertains is likely to impede the execution of such affairs; and
5. Cases in which personal information is provided in regard to the succession of business due to a merger or otherwise.
We will not transfer your personal information outside of Japan unless we have your consent or another legal exemption applies.
7. Age Limitation
Where the processing of personal information relies on your consent (see section 5, "Where you give us your consent", § a and § b), you are only eligible if you are 13 years of age (or older if required by the law of your country of residence) or over or your parent or legal guardian gives legitimate consent in accordance with the applicable law.
8. Your rights
You have the right under law to request the access to your personal information, the rectification of your inaccurate or incomplete personal information, the erasure of your personal information or to restrict its processing. To exercise such rights, please contact the below enquiry desk and make a request pursuant to the procedures separately specified by Tokyo 2020. In such cases, we will ascertain the identity of the person by information which can identify such individual (name, address, telephone number, date of birth, email address, etc.). We reserve the right to request you to provide evidence (in particular copies of ID documents) allowing us to confirm your identity. For further details, please contact the below enquiry desk.
Please note that we reserve the right to decline a request to the access to your personal information, rectification of your inaccurate or incomplete personal information, the erasure of your personal information or to restrict its processing, where the legal conditions are met and in particular where the request made to us is manifestly unfounded or excessive, or where the requested action would violate any other laws or regulation or would be likely to harm the life, health or property or any other rights or interests of the person to whom the information pertains or a third party or to significantly impede the proper execution of our services.
If you are a resident in the EU, you also have the right to obtain the personal information you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format (i.e. the right of data portability). In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal information under certain conditions.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us using the details set out below. If you have any unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live or work or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
To comply with GDPR, we have appointed a European representative. If you wish to contact them, their details are as follows:
Bird & Bird GDPR Representative Services SRL
Avenue Louise 2351050 Bruxelles, Belgium
9. How long does Tokyo 2020 hold on to personal information?
We will process your information until at least the end of the Games, unless you are entitled to ask us to stop using your information before this point. We may then hold some of your information after the Games as necessary to protect ourselves from legal claims or to meet our legal requirements. Where we have shared your personal information with third parties in accordance with this Policy, such third parties may hold on to your personal information after the Games in accordance with their own privacy policies.
10. How to get in touch with Tokyo 2020?
For enquiries regarding the use of personal information by Tokyo 2020, please contact the below enquiry desk:
Tokyo 2020 Enquiry Desk
Tel: 0570-09-2020 (Domestic calls only. Charges apply.)
Business hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. weekdays, excluding weekends, public holidays and year-end and New Year holidays.
Web enquiry form
11. Changes to this Policy
When we make changes to this Policy, we will do our best to inform you in advance of such change, for example by posting a notice on the services or by sending you an email communication, so you can review our revised policy and decide whether to continue to use the services or not. Your continued use of the services after the entry into force of the revised Policy will constitute your confirmation of your reading and understanding of such changes. We encourage you to review our Policy regularly.