The recruitment period for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay torchbearers has ended.
Thank you all for applying!
Recruitment target: Everyone
- Ensure that a wide range of people are represented — including different nationalities, genders, age groups and people with or without impairments. (A minimum age shall be established for safety reasons.)
- Persons active in local communities will be given priority
Spirit of reconstruction and perseverance (mutual support)
- Persons who provide support for family members, friends and colleagues on a daily basis, and have demonstrated an ability to overcome great adversity, e.g. persons displaying great fortitude in reconstruction efforts
Tolerance to embrace diversity (mutual acceptance)
- Persons who are accepting and tolerant of many different kinds of people, and constantly seeking new initiatives, e.g. persons who brought local people and newcomers together and have elevated the status of the local community
- Persons who helped bring old and new residents closer together
Experiencing unity through celebration (mutual enhancement)
- Persons who will be able to raise a sense of togetherness among the local community by becoming torchbearers, e.g. persons providing support behind the scenes to promote the traditional cultural activities of the local area.
Eligibility requirements for torchbearers
- Applicants must be born on or before 1 April 2008.
- Any nationality and gender will be accepted.
- Applicants must have a personal connection to the area in which they wish to participate as a torchbearer.
* Please see the ‘Basic conditions regarding applications to become a torchbearer’ and the ‘Important points regarding applications to become a torchbearer' below. For further details, please confirm the torchbearer recruitment guideline released by each recruiting organisation.
Basic conditions regarding applications to become a torchbearer
- Applicants must be born on or before 1 April 2008. The consent of a parent or guardian is required for those who will be aged 17 or under on 1 March 2020 (the first day of the month in which the torch relay will start).
- Applicants must have a personal connection to the leg of the tour in which they wish to act as a torchbearer (i.e. persons who currently reside or previously resided in the prefecture, persons currently belonging to a school or workplace in the prefecture, persons with family or relatives residing in the prefecture, persons previously active in the prefecture in which they wish to act as a torchbearer, etc.)
- Any nationality and gender will be accepted.
- Applicants must be able to carry the torch safely of their own volition. However, the support of a guide runner will be permitted as needed.
- Those applying with the objective of communicating a political or religious message will not be accepted as a torchbearer. Those who serve as a public officer under the Public Offices Election Act (member of Diet and/or a member or head of a local government), a candidate or prospective candidate of a public office, and a leader or those in a position equivalent to a leader of a political party/organisation will not be accepted as a torchbearer.
- A religious figure will not be accepted as a torchbearer if he/she will use the Torch Relay to preach about religion.
Important points regarding applications to become a torchbearer
- Applicants may not use this activity for advertising or publicity purposes.
- Only one person may apply per application. Applications submitted by multiple persons will not be accepted.
- Torchbearers will be required to wear a uniform provided by The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020).
- The distance of one leg of the torch relay is approximately 200 metres. (Please note that the distance may be shorter/longer than 200 metres. Each torchbearer may run at his/her own pace.)
- Once selected, the torchbearer will be assigned the precise day and time as well as the route of his/her leg of the torch relay, which will be determined at a later date by Tokyo 2020. Please note that torchbearers may be assigned to a remote location such as an island.
- Torchbearers who require particular equipment or device to take part in the torch relay, such as a wheelchair, must bring their own equipment or device.
* Tokyo 2020 will provide the apparatus to attach the torch to a wheelchair.
* Torchbearers who require assistance may be accompanied by a guide runner.
* Torchbearers with an impairment who require assistance may be accompanied by a guide dog.
- Applicants who are not selected as a torchbearer will not receive any notice that their application was not successful.
For Tokyo 2020 Olympic torchbearers
Important points following the final selection of torchbearers for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay.