How to Participate
Joining the Games as a Volunteer
Games volunteers will be directly involved in assisting Games' operations before, during and after the Tokyo 2020 Games, and will be expected to play an active role in helping to create a positive and exciting atmosphere, thus contributing to the overall success of the Games.
Number of Volunteering Days
In principle, volunteers will be required to work for at least ten days before, during and after the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Depending on Games competition schedules, the content and location of volunteer activities, and working shifts, the number of days volunteers will be required to work may be reduced to less than ten days.
- ※ Pre-Games preparations are expected to begin in April 2020.
- ※ The Olympic Games will be held from Friday 24 July to Sunday 9 August, while the Paralympic Games will be held from Tuesday 25 August to Sunday 6 September 2020.
- ※ In principle, volunteers will be required to work for up to five consecutive days.
- ※ Those who would like to undertake volunteer work at both the Olympic and Paralympic Games may be required to work ten or more days at each event – a total of 20 or more days.
Approximately eight hours per day including rest breaks and standby times.
- ※ Actual shift lengths depend on event schedules, activities, activity sites, etc.
- ※ Meal breaks are not included in the volunteer working hours.
Age and residential requirements
Applicants must fulfil the following two requirements
- Born prior to 1 April 2002
- Japanese national or person with valid visa permitting residence in Japan during the volunteer period (temporary visitors included)
Number of Games Volunteer Opportunities
26 September through early December 2018
※ Please note that a further application period may be held depending on the preparation status.
Applications will be submitted online.
The detailed application is currently being prepared and will be made available on the Tokyo 2020 website.
The volunteer website and application will be accessible as per the Tokyo 2020 Accessibility Guidelines.
Offers and Confirmation
Those applicants who attend the orientation and training sessions and are assigned a volunteer role will be offered to become a Tokyo 2020 Games volunteer.
Please note that the above offer will be cancelled in the event of any of the following:
- If the volunteer requests the offer to be cancelled.
- If the volunteer engages in any activity that damages the image of the Tokyo 2020 Games.
- If the volunteer engages in any activity that severely obstructs or damages teamwork.
- If the volunteer engages in any activity that is deemed as a hindrance, annoyance, etc. to any Games spectator or Games-related personnel.
- If any information contained in the original application form is clearly found to be false.
※ “City volunteers” will assist Japanese and international tourists with sightseeing and transportation information as well as guide spectators to competition venues. City volunteers will be recruited and managed by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and other local governments that will host the Olympic and Paralympic Games events.