The Tokyo Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) has concluded a partnership agreement with universities and colleges from all over Japan to collaborate with students on the promotion of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Collaboration among Tokyo 2020 and universities and colleges
The aim of the Olympic Games is to promote a healthy body and mind, to encourage friendship among people around the world, and to contribute to world peace through sports. This ideal is called “Olympism” and it is outlined in the Olympic Charter, the rules and by-laws followed for the celebration of the Olympic Games. The Olympic Games constitute the important parts of the Olympic Movement, which is the concerted action of everyone inspired by the values of Olympism.
The Olympic Games have been continuously challenged for social changes. The December 2014 IOC extraordinary session held in Monaco approved Olympic Agenda 2020, the strategic roadmap for the future of the Olympic Movement. One of the recommendations included in Olympic Agenda 2020 is to “engage with youth”.
Embracing the spirits of Olympism and Olympic Agenda 2020, and supported by the diffusion of the Movement driven by the students involved, Tokyo 2020 pledges to deliver a successful Games and to contribute to the future of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
23 June 2014 marked 120 years from the founding of the IOC, and on this Olympic Day, Tokyo 2020 signed its first partnership agreement with about 800 universities across Japan and has been collaborating on various activities. The students will become the main force of our society in 2020 and beyond, and they are expected to make a huge contribution to the Tokyo 2020 Games.
Collaboration with universities: Three key words
The promotion of Olympic and Paralympic education and research help solve social and community issues.
A once-in-a-lifetime experience for the students
The universities’ knowledge and assets support the Games
The Tokyo 2020 Vision
Activities carried out by Partnership Agreement with Universities and Colleges
- Display Tokyo 2020 posters and banners on campus
- Hold lectures and seminars featuring the Tokyo 2020 Games
- Host symposiums inviting athletes
- Organise sport events and hands-on events with the local community
- Display books and publications about the Olympic and Paralympic Games at library
- Volunteer at a sport event
- Take part in the Tokyo 2020 “Get Involved” programme
- Sell Tokyo 2020 official merchandise at the university store
- Form a student body composed of students with high interest in the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Establish a team on campus that offers students information about the Games and helps promote the Tokyo 2020 Games
- Welcome athletes and teams from various countries to train before the Games
Activities offered to the Partnership Agreement with Universities and Colleges
Tokyo 2020 plans and organises various events and programmes for Partnership Agreement with Universities and Colleges and their students.
25 November 2016: University Partnership: Rio to Tokyo for Students