The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (Tokyo 2020) and Tokyo Metropolitan Government have been considering and coordinating the special operation for late night with the railway companies.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games have 33 sports and 339 competitions at 42 venues, and it will be held from early morning to late night. We expect that numerous spectators will come to Tokyo area from home and abroad.
The Tokyo 2020 and Tokyo Metropolitan Government have coordinated with railway companies in Greater Tokyo to cope with crowded trains or demands of using trains for late night during the Games. As a result of that, we are announcing the outline of the special operation for late night.
This information would be useful to purchase a competition tickets which will be sold soon. More detailed information will be released on our website.
1. Service period plan
From Friday, 24 July, 2020, Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games to Sunday, 9 August, 2020, Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games
2. Operation hour draft
(1) JR Yamanote line, Tokyo Metro, Toei subway lines: Past 02:00 a.m. (Under consideration)
(2) Other lines: Around 01:00 a.m. to around 02:00 a.m., depending on each line (Under consideration)
3. Map of lines scheduled late night operation (after the last train)
Tokyo Metro and Toei subway lines inside JR Yamanote line are not shown above.
As of January 2019
- Operation for inbound/outbound scheduled in Tokyo Metro, TOEI subway, Yokohama-city subway, and JR Yamanote line, JR Keihin-tohoku line, JR Musashino line, JR Yokohama line, and Rinkai line
- Operation each lines for outbound connecting radially with JR Yamanote line
Operation for inbound in some lines is under consideration.
- The last train would be operated on the same time-table during the Games time regardless weekdays, weekends and holidays.
(1) The diagram refers to the operation for late night, including lines and time for late night.It is under considering and might be changed.
(2) In case of any accidents or bad weather, operation might be canceled.
(3) Currently, other area, except for above is under consideration.
5. Railway companies which is considering the special operation for late night.
East Japan Railway Company
TOBU RAILWAY CO., LTD.
SEIBU RAILWAY Co., Ltd.
Keisei Electric Railway Co., Ltd.
Odakyu Electric Railway Co., Ltd.
Tokyo Metro Co., Ltd.
SAGAMI RAILWAY Co., Ltd.
Hokuso-Railway Co., Ltd.
TOKYO MONORAIL CO., LTD.
Yokohama Minatomirai Railway Company
TOKYO WATERFRONT AREA RAPID TRANSIT, INC.
Metropolitan Intercity Railway Company
Saitama Railway Corporation
Bureau of Transportation Tokyo Metropolitan Government
Transportation Bureau, City of Yokohama
Above list might be changed.
Reference: Consideration for operation during late night in Greater Tokyo Area
The Tokyo 2020 and Tokyo Metropolitan Government presented the estimated data of users during the Olympic Games and the principle of service level to the railway companies, and invited them to consider the late night operation.