How to Enter the Olympic Ticket Lottery
Application period: From 10am on 9 May 2019 to 11:59am on 29 May 2019
Purchase period: From 20 June 2019 to 11:59pm on 2 July 2019
You may be redirected to a waiting room page when there is a large volume of access to the website. Access to the website may surge when the website first opens, and before the application deadline, making it hard to access the website. Therefore, we advise you to make your payment in a timely manner.
Purchases via the Official Ticket Website are open to residents of Japan only. Overseas residents will be able to purchase tickets from the NOC or the designated Authorised Ticket Reseller in the country/territory of residence.
Please check the list of NOCs and Authorised Ticket Resellers in each country/territory.
How to Apply and Purchase Tickets
Please see below to learn how to enter the ticket lottery.
The sales schedule is subject to change.
Step1 - Select session, type of tickets, and number of tickets
Click ‘Ticket purchase’ on the Official Ticket Website, and search for the competition schedule based on the options below:
- Search by date
- Search by sport/event
- Search by area/venue
When you have decided on the sport/event and the session, please select the type and number of tickets you would like to apply for.
Tickets are sold for each sport event session.
The time and number of matches in a session vary on the sport.
(e.g. Athletics events are divided into morning and afternoon/evening sessions.
Sessions for ball sports may include multiple matches.)
|Type of tickets||Seat Category|
Select from five seat categories - from A to E.
The number of seat categories will vary on the sport.
Wheelchair users should select ‘wheelchair users’.
These tickets are for the designated wheelchair seating area.
Application for a companion ticket can only be made with an application for a wheelchair ticket.
One companion ticket can be applied per application for a wheelchair ticket.
|TOKYO 2020 Group Ticket||
These tickets are for the lowest level seating areas.
Applicants are unable to select their preferred seating area
Applicants are only able to select one seat category per session.
(e.g. Applicants are unable to select both A and B seat categories for the same session.)
General tickets, wheelchair tickets, and the companion ticket can be purchased together within the maximum number of tickets that can be applied for.
Please note that general ticket seating will be in a separate area from the wheelchair and companion ticket seating area.
(e.g. For a session offering a maximum number of four tickets, the application may include two General tickets, one Wheelchair ticket and one companion ticket.)
Cascade service and the option to apply for 2nd choice
We have prepared two options to increase your chance of winning the ticket lottery.
Cascade service and the 2nd choice option can both be used together.
Cascade service can be applied to both the 1st choice and 2nd choice session.
Maximum number of tickets that can be applied for
There is a limit on the number of tickets that can be bought per applicant.
Please note that applicants cannot obtaining multiple IDs to take part in the ticket lottery multiple times. If such actions are discovered, the applicant will be withdrawn from the application process and the ticket lottery, and any tickets already purchased will be invalidated. In addition, the applicant will be disqualified from using related services.
Throughout the sales period, the maximum number of tickets that can be requested for each session per ID is as follows.
Maximum number of tickets that can be requested for the 1st and 2nd choice is 60 tickets, and of which 30 tickets can be won/purchased.
The combination of “a general ticket, wheelchair ticket and companion ticket” and the “TOKYO 2020 Group Ticket” cannot be requested together for the same session. General tickets, wheelchair tickets, and the companion ticket can be purchased together within the maximum number of tickets that can be applied.
The maximum number of tickets that can be requested written below under ”Opening/Closing Ceremony” is for each of the ceremonies.
Step2 - View details and complete the application
After agreeing to the terms and conditions for purchasing and using Tokyo 2020 ticketsthe terms and conditions for purchasing and using Tokyo 2020 tickets, please check your application details (number of tickets and payment amount), and complete the application procedure.
Please read through the terms and conditions for purchasing and using Tokyo 2020 tickets before beginning the application procedure. Your completed application will be considered as your agreement to abide by these terms and conditions.
Applicants will be able to check, add or change details on their applications via the My Ticket page of the Official Ticket Website during the application period.
To modify your ticket request, you must cancel your existing application and create a new request through "My Ticket" in the Official Ticket Website.
Please note that payment of the due amount for all tickets obtained during the ticket lottery for all sessions must be made in a single payment. Partial payments will not be accepted. Tickets cannot be canceled after the payment has been made.
Step3 - Announcement of ticket lottery results
Ticket lottery results will be announced on 20 June 2019
From 20 June, we will inform applicants of their lottery result for each of the sessions and seat category applied. Applicants are also strongly advised to check the “My Ticket” page of the Official Ticket Website for their lottery results.
We will send the lottery result to the applicants' registered e-mail address and we will not be sending postal letters or making calls. To prevent the lottery result email from being classified as spam, the email will not contain URL to the Tokyo 2020 Official Ticket Website.
For sessions in which the number of request exceeded the number of tickets available for sales, we have conducted a lottery to decide the winner. We are not able to answer any questions regarding the lottery result.
Tickets won by “2nd Choice” and “Cascade” will be displayed as such on the My Ticket page.
The number and blocks of the seats are planned to be announced after Spring 2020.
Step4 - Purchasing procedure
Purchasing procedure period: 20 June - 11:59pm 2 July 2019
There may be a large amount of access to the website when the website first opens, and before the application deadline, making it hard to access the website. Therefore, we advise you to make your payment in a timely manner.
If you do not complete your purchase procedure during the specified purchase procedure period, your right to purchase any tickets obtained in the ticket lottery will be invalidated.
Payment of the due amount for all tickets obtained during the ticket lottery for all sessions must be made in a single payment. Partial payments will not be accepted.
(1) Please register those expected to be attending the competition
Applicants are required to register the names and contact details of every individual expected to enter the venue using the tickets purchased through the lottery.
Register the same contact details for the purchaser and the individual expected to enter the venue.
The purchaser of the tickets may make changes to the names of those using the tickets on his/her “My Ticket” page on the Official Ticket Website up until the day of the competition.
The ticket purchaser must be able to contact the individuals entering the venues.
Only those individuals registered are permitted to enter the venue.
Please note that spectators may be asked to show their ID at the venue. Please be sure to carry some form of identification with your name when entering the venue. Failure to provide an ID may result in the denial of entry into the venue. In addition, individuals who have entered the venue may be asked to confirm the contact details of the ticket purchaser.
Those who have won the lottery for the TOKYO 2020 Group Ticket will be required to enter the name of each individual attending the competitions and select the appropriate category: ‘Child (12 and under)’, ‘senior citizen (60 and under)’, and/or ‘people with disabilities’.
For the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, all group members will be required to enter the venue together for identification purposes.
(2) Please register the ticket type and delivery address
Select one of the three ticket types (delivery method) listed above. (Multiple ticket types cannot be
The name of the purchaser will be printed on the ticket.
Tickets will be delivered by its respective methods after May 2020.
(Including instructions on displaying or printing out non-paper tickets)
Paper tickets can only be delivered to the purchaser. Please make sure the delivery address is where the purchaser can receive the tickets.
Paper tickets can only be delivered to an address in Japan. Paper tickets cannot be delivered overseas.
Tickets cannot be delivered to hotels, PO box, or directly to a postal office to be picked up over the counter.
Delivery address can be changed from the My Ticket page, within the time period specified by the committee.
(3) Please select preferred method of payment
Ticket payment can only be done by VISA payment or cash at a convenience store
Cash payment can be made only if the total due is less than 300,000 Yen. Otherwise, you must pay using a Visa product.
Handling charge is subject to change.
[Payment by VISA]
- Amount that can be purchased by a VISA card varies depending on the card company that issued the card. Please contact your credit card issuer to check your credit card limit and make changes if needed. Be advised that ticket payment must be made with a credit card issued to the ticket purchaser.
- For Visa payments, you can choose to use Visa Credit (deferred payment), Visa Debit (instant payment) or Visa Prepaid (advance payment) cards.
- Make sure to check your credit card limit or account balance for your debit or prepaid card.
- The Tokyo 2020 official ticket purchase site wants to help ensure the security of everyone we do business with. One way we do this is to prevent the unauthorized use of cards. As a Visa cardholder, your transaction is secured with Visa and you may be guided through an additional check to verify your identity. This check is done using Visa Secure (formerly known as Verified by Visa). As part of this you may be prompted to enter your Visa Secure password or one-time password, previously set with your card issuer. For any questions as to whether your card supports Visa Secure or regarding your Visa Secure password/OTP, please contact your card issuer.
- As the official payment technology sponsor of Tokyo 2020, Visa is the only payment brand accepted on the Tokyo 2020 Official Ticket Website.
[Payment by cash (convenience store)]
- If you choose cash payment at a convenience store, please make your payment by Thursday 4 July 2019, 11:59 p.m.
- Cash payment can only be made at a convenience store. (Seven-Eleven, FamilyMart, Lawson, MINISTOP, Seicomart) VISA cards cannot be used to pay for the tickets at the convenience store.
- If you choose cash payment at a convenience store, please make your payment by Thursday 4 July 2019, 11:59 p.m. Please do not wait until the last-minute (i.e. one or two hours before the payment deadline and/or the closing time of the convenience store) to pay at the convenience store, as the store may be crowded and you may not be able to complete the payment by the deadline. We will not accept any payment after the payment due date, without exception. If you do not pay before the deadline, all your awarded tickets will be cancelled.
- You will not receive the ticket at the convenience store, but instead, you will receive a purchase receipt. We strongly advise you to keep the receipt.
- Payment method and the required information to purchase the ticket will vary on the convenience store. Be sure to take note of the information (i.e. payment number) displayed on the purchase completed page.
(4) Details on Payment
Visit the My Ticket → Purchase History → Details page on the official ticketing sales website for information on ticket payment.
Tickets cannot be canceled after the payment has been made.
Other - Waiting Room
When there is a high volume of access to the ticket website, you will be redirected to the waiting room shown below. Do not close the website and wait for your order in line to come. You will be prompted on screen when you are able to enter the website.
The wait time displayed on screen is a reference and is subject to change depending on the volume of access.
There may be a large amount of access to the website when the website first opens, and before the payment deadline, making it hard to access the website. Therefore, we advise you to make your payment in a timely manner.
Waiting Room website