FAQ on the Grievance Mechanism for the Sustainable Sourcing Code
A : The Grievance Mechanism deals with reports about non-compliance with the Sustainable Sourcing Code, related to products and services procured by Tokyo 2020 and licensed products.
However, there are some cases the Grievance Mechanism does not cover, e.g. a pending case undergoing another conflict resolution process wherein the issue in the conflict resolution process is substantially identical with the one in this Grievance Mechanism.
A report can be filed by e-mail or by post to the below address.
E-mail address : grievance (at) suscode.tokyo2020.jp
The e-mail address has been formatted to avoid spam. Please replace "(at)" in the above address with the @ symbol.
Postal address :
Sustainability Dept., Administration Bureau
The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games
11th floor, Shinjuku Park Tower, 3-7-1 Nishi-shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 163-1011
It is necessary to include the following information in the Reporting Form
(1) Name, address, contact details of person/party reporting
(2) Information about the person/party to be reported
(3) Detailed information about the negative impact(s)
(4) Detailed facts of non-compliance and the provision within the Sourcing Code that is subject to the non-compliance
(5) Causal relationship between non-compliance with the Sourcing Code and the negative impact(s)
(6) Expected solution of the person/party reporting
(7) Record of dialogue with the person/party to be reported
(8) Whether or not it corresponds to a case pending in another conflict resolution procedure or a case where procedures in the Grievance Mechanism is currently ongoing.
(9) Whether to use an agent with evidence that the person/party reporting authorizes the agent.
The standard process of handling reports received is shown in Nos. (1) – (9) below. There may be cases wherein some steps are conducted in parallel or some steps are omitted, depending on the content and nature of the report.
(1) Reception of reports
(2) Confirmation of reports
(3) Compilation of information and establishment of Advisory Panel
(4) First dialogue between the parties concerned
(5) Examination of the facts
(6) Second dialogue between the parties concerned
(7) Determination of resolution
(8) Improvement measures
(9) Completion of the case
A : In case that dialogue between parties concerned is not successful, Tokyo 2020 will determine a resolution that may include its opinions on the report and improvement measures it requires to parties, based on information about background of the case, claims of both parties concerned, and summary of investigation results, after which relevant parties will be informed about the resolution.
A : Tokyo 2020 will select Advisory Panel member(s). Tokyo 2020 shall also take into full account the views of the Sustainable Sourcing Working Group beforehand, and if dialogue between the parties concerned is expected, shall listen to, and strive to respect requests from the parties concerned regarding the selection of Advisory Panel member(s).
A : As a standard processing period, the period of time from the receipt of a report until the completion of the first dialogue is expected to be 1-2 months. The period of time from the examination after the first dialogue until the determination of the resolution is expected to be 3 months. However, it may take more time depending on the content and nature of the report. In such cases, the person/party reporting, the person/party to be reported, and other relevant parties are informed in a timely manner.
A : The scope of this Grievance Mechanism is non-compliance with the Sustainable Sourcing Code related to products and services procured by Tokyo 2020 and licensed products.
For your reference, Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) and Japan Sport Council (JSC) have respectively established a grievance mechanism for the Sustainable Sourcing Code as described below.
https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/sustainability/data/establishment-sustainablesourcingcode_EN.pdf (PDF: 102.4 KB)