The Grievance Mechanism has been established to receive reports on non-compliance of the Sustainable Sourcing Code and to promptly and appropriately respond to these reports in a fair and transparent manner.
The Grievance Mechanism deals with reports about non-compliance of the Sustainable Sourcing Code, related to licensed products and products and services procured by Tokyo 2020.
However, there are some cases which the Grievance Mechanism does not cover, e.g. pending cases undergoing conflict resolutions wherein the issue is substantially identical with the one reported in the Grievance Mechanism.
A report can be filed by e-mail or by post to the below address.
E-mail address: grievance (at) suscode.tokyo2020.jp
* The e-mail address has been formatted to avoid spam. Please replace "(at)" in the above address with the @ symbol.
Sustainability Dept., Administration Bureau
The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games
19th Floor, Harumi Island Triton Square Office Tower Y
1-8-11 Harumi Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-6119
Reports can be filed and received until 30 November 2020.
Yes. The Grievance Mechanism deals with reports from overseas as well as domestic ones.
Reports should mainly be filed in Japanese or English but we will also respond to reports in other languages as much as we can.
It is necessary to include the following information in the Reporting Form
(1) Name, address, contact details of person/party reporting
(2) Information about the person/party to be reported
(3) Detailed information about the negative impact(s)
(4) Detailed facts of non-compliance and the provision within the Sourcing Code that is subject to non-compliance
(5) Causal relationship between non-compliance with the Sourcing Code and the negative impact(s)
(6) Expected solution of the person/party reporting
(7) Record of dialogue with the person/party to be reported
(8) Whether or not it corresponds to a case pending in another conflict resolution procedure or a case where procedures in the Grievance Mechanism is currently ongoing
(9) Whether to use an agent with evidence that the person/party reporting authorizes the agent
While real name and contact details must be provided in Reporting Form. This information will not be disclosed, if the person/party reporting prefers to remain anonymous in the process.
The standard process of handling reports received is shown in Nos. (1) – (9) below. There may be cases wherein some steps are conducted in parallel or some steps are omitted, depending on the content and nature of the report.
(1) Reception of reports
(2) Confirmation of reports
(3) Compilation of information and establishment of Advisory Panel
(4) First dialogue between the parties concerned
(5) Examination of the facts
(6) Second dialogue between the parties concerned
(7) Determination of resolution
(8) Improvement measures
(9) Completion of the case
In case concerned parties cannot reach an agreement, Tokyo 2020 will determine a resolution which may include feedback and other improvement measures it may require parties to comply with, based on information about background of the case, claims of both parties concerned, and summary of investigation results. After this process, relevant parties will be informed about the resolution.
Tokyo 2020 establishes an Advisory Panel composed of experts in order to enhance the neutrality and fairness of implementing the Grievance Mechanism. Advisory Panel is tasked to advise from a neutral standpoint when processing each report within the scope.
Tokyo 2020 will select Advisory Panel member(s). Tokyo 2020 shall also take into full account the views of the Sustainable Sourcing Working Group beforehand, and if dialogue between the parties concerned is expected, shall listen to, and strive to respect requests from the parties concerned regarding the selection of Advisory Panel member(s).
As a standard processing period, the period of time from the receipt of a report until the completion of the first dialogue is expected to be 1-2 months. The period of time from the examination after the first dialogue until the determination of the resolution is expected to be three (3) months. However, it may take more time depending on the content and nature of the report. In such cases, the person/party reporting, the person/party to be reported, and other relevant parties are informed in a timely manner.
The scope of this Grievance Mechanism is non-compliance with the Sustainable Sourcing Code related to licensed products and products and services procured by Tokyo 2020.
For your reference, Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) and Japan Sport Council (JSC) have respectively established a grievance mechanism for the Sustainable Sourcing Code as described below.
For transparency purposes, Tokyo 2020 discloses status of the process, and summary of the result of reports received, on its website.